We offer a wide range of project management related services. Some of these include:
Project / Program Management
Let us manage your projects, and, at the same time, coach your project managers to be able to effectively manage your own projects. We are PMP certified through the PMI (Project Management Institute).
Project Management is a discipline unto itself, and requires much more than just technical expertise.
We believe an effective project manager must have a well rounded background in
human resources, financial management, organizational design and traditional
project management skills. We bring this mix of skills to every engagement
Business Case preparation, Analysis,
Review and Training
KGW has extensive experience in the preparation and review of Business Cases.
In addition, we can tailor seminars or courses for your staff to prepare them to
create their own business cases. Having problems quantifying "soft benefits"?
Ensuring appropriate financial measures are in place? Determining if
continuing with an 'over budget' project is justified? Let us assist you!
Organizational Project Management Maturity
The Project Management Institute's (PMI)
OPM3 (Organizational Project Management Maturity Model) is the new standard in
assessing and improving an organizations capabilities in project, program and
portfolio management. If your organization is interesting in improving its
capabilities in project management and increasing its ability to achieve
strategic objectives - we can assist or lead you in this initiative.
Click here for additional
information on this innovative new service
Project Management Coaching
Beyond managing your projects, KGW has extensive experience in coaching
project managers. We assist firms that are just beginning to implement formal
project management methodologies through to major organizations with well
established project management approaches.
KGW speaks to project management forums on the differences in project management between Information Systems projects, and non-IS projects. An abridged copy of this presentation is available for download from this site.
A subsequent presentation - "To Dream the Impossible Dream: Managing Successful IS Projects" is also available for download.
Together with Dr. M Hurt, Dean of the faculty of Management (Athabasca
University), this presentation was given on behalf of the University of Calgary as part of the "Friday Morning at the Faculty" Speaker series to Calgary Businesses.
Other related presentations are also available.
Project Management Office
Many organizations are now establishing Project Management Office's. This department may be mandated to:
We can help you establish a Project Management Office (PMO), manage your PMO, or assist in the running of a PMO.
- ensure a common methodology is used across all projects
- implement a common approach to evaluating the costs and benefits of proposed projects
- implement an appropriate economic model to allow competing projects to be ranked according to appropriate economic indicators (e.g. (IRR, NPV, Payback, effect on various ratio's, etc.)
- provide uniform project progress tracking mechanisms
- allow budgetary control over a large suite of projects
- provide ongoing coaching and "best practices" to project managers
- ensure the complete collection of projects are all strategically aligned with corporate directions
Our experience covers the range of small projects in start up organizations through to managing the PMO in one of Canada's largest Fortune 500 companies.
Post Implementation Reviews (PIR)
Is your organization capturing appropriate learning's from both successful
and unsuccessful projects? Did your projects truly achieve the desired
business objectives? This is where Post Implementation Reviews can help
put your organization on a path of continuous improvement. Some of the
organizations where we have performed such reviews include:
- CPR: Developed PIR methodology
- CPR: Performed PIR's over an 18 month period
- CPR: Managed PMO, coached 65 project
- Irving Oil: Performed PIR's on key projects
- Irving Oil: Monitored projects in progress,
coached project managers
- Nowsco: Review of key in-flight projects,
implemented course corrections to rescue project
- Quantum Data: Review of project in progress
APG Solutions & Technologies: 36 month contract to review projects (as
- Telus: Review of projects in progress
- Geological Survey of Canada: Review of
project in progress
- City of Medicine Hat: Review of City IS
expenditures including project review
- City of Reddeer: Review of City IS
expenditures including major project review
- CPR: Established project economic selection
& evaluation criteria and methodology to evaluate project success against this